Our living environment can change dramatically as we go through various stages of life. It is obviously easier to move into a larger space but quite a challenge to move into smaller space. Hence the need to be aware of various space saving strategies so you can turn a smaller living area into an attractive, practical, comfortable home!
- Look over the following space saving tips and ideas and see what you can pull out and utilize in your own house or apartment:
- Keep walkways clear and carefully think out the positioning of furniture so windows and doors are clear, giving an airy feeling.
- Organize your space according to priority. Give space to the things you do every day and the things you need and use everyday. Items only used occasionally can be packed or put in less accessible places.
- Install book-shelving above some doorways for items you seldom use.
- Think of replacing some interior doors with curtains so the space right up to the door frame can be utilized.
- How much space do your CD’s and CD racks take up? Now computers come with masses of hard disk space, consider transferring all your music to computer and doing away with sprawling CD collections.
- Consider fold away beds which are hidden behind attractive cabinets.
- Pay attention to lighting. A well lit space seems bigger. Either utilize all the natural light you have or invest in carefully placed artificial lighting to create that roomy effect.
- Make a storage chest double up as a coffee table.
- Utilize hallway space with bookshelves, this is a wonderful underused space saving idea.